In 2011, I graduated with Honors from the Animal Behavior College as an ABC Certified Dog Trainer. The Animal Behavior College is a private vocational school approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. It has an A+ Rating with the BBB.
My nine month commitment to this program provided me with a formal education in canine obedience training and an understanding of canine behavior and its motives. My certification, education and experience has provided me the skills required to effectively and humanely train your dog, while keeping alive the spark that makes your dog so special to you.
I have been working with dogs for years and truly believe that everyone can live the Good Life with their dogs, through better communication, understanding and wellness care.
Dog Training Philosophy
My training technique teaches dogs that obedience and other desirable behaviors, such as not jumping on people, earn him things he likes, such as treats, toys, petting and praise. This type of training creates a dog whose primary motivation is based on earning a reward, as opposed to avoiding a punishment. My methods include clicker training, rewarding through treats, leadership exercises, learning good behavior through repetition and preventing undesirable behavior through management.
Experience and Qualifications
- Graduate of Cornell University, B.S. Natural Resources
- Certified Dog Trainer graduating from Animal Behavior College with Honors
- Certified PetTech™ Instructor #1473
- Mentored 7+ years with AKC Field Champion German shorthaired pointer breeder, trainer, handler
- Guided upland hunts at Orvis Endorsed wingshooting lodge
- 2008 GSP National Futurity and Colorado GSP Club Field Trials
- Volunteered at CARE (Colorado Animal Rescue) and mentored with Behavior Specialist and head dog trainer, Tracey Yajko
- Former Director of Operations at the Aspen Global Change Institute
- Former Naturalist at the Aspen Center for Environmental Studies
- Two years as Kennel Tech at Cazenovia Animal Hospital
- Member of New York State Outdoor Writer’s Association and Professional Outdoor Media Association
- Owner of SB Media Group, LLC, website development and digital communications specialists
Sue Bookhout’s dog training highlighted in American Hunter magazine
My experience training a litter of German shorthaired pointer puppies was featured in the June 2009 issue of American Hunter magazine in Ron Spomer’s hunting dog training column.